Coronal Energy, powered by Panasonic, is a leading independent power producer focused on utility-scale solar and storage projects. The firm provides turnkey solar energy solutions tailored for diverse enterprise customers across North America, including utilities, corporations, and the public sector. Uniting 3 gigawatts of completed project experience with the financial strength of a Fortune Global 500 company (#110), Coronal Energy, powered by Panasonic, owns and manages a 333 megawatt operating portfolio and a multi-gigawatt development pipeline in more than 20 US states.
For more, please visit CoronalEnergy.com and follow us @CoronalEnergy on Twitter.
Title: (Solar) Development Engineer
Reports to: Director, Development Engineering
The Development Engineer will be responsible for providing technical support for projects from origination to commencement of construction, including preliminary design, permitting, interconnection, environmental support, and RFP support for ground-mounted solar PV, PV + battery storage, and standalone storage projects between 5 and 500 megawatts + in size.
Candidates must demonstrate a keen interest and knowledge of the solar and battery storage industry and a proven ability to efficiently and effectively multi-task in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment.
Roles & Responsibilities:
· Develop environmental constraints maps
· Direct creation of project site plans & layouts with internal design staff
· Produce PV energy production estimates (PVSyst) and model battery storage performance
· Assess point of interconnection location and overall site viability (desktop and site visits)
· Interconnection Agreement and PPA management (utility point of contact, draft interconnection requests, gather preliminary interconnection feedback, review and assess studies including transmission injection analyses)
· Run bid processes and manage outside environmental and engineering consultants
· Review, assess, and clarify results of studies (Critical Issues Analysis, ESA phase I, Environmental Assessment, Wetlands, Geotech, ALTA Survey, Threatened/Endangered Species, Cultural Resources, etc.) and identify risks or design constraints.
· POC with federal, state and local agencies (SHPO, DEQ, USACE, building inspector, etc.)
· Technical discretionary permitting support
· RFP response support
· Due diligence of acquired projects
· Assist project team with other projects on an ad-hoc basis
· Travel requirement – up to 50%, often on short notice
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their manager.
Characteristics of Ideal Candidate:
• Self-motivated, detail oriented, proactive and committed to excellence
• Broad technical understanding of overall project requirements
• Strong Communication skills - ability to distill technical information to layperson
• Ability to multitask and prioritize needs with timely responses
• Creative problem solving
• Technical risk identification at all stages of development
• Ability to interpret construction drawings and review project documentation for technical requirements
• Able to manage a myriad of competing priorities
• A “Can Do” positive attitude, coupled with superior problem-solving skills
• Extremely organized
• High energy, responds well to pressure, works to deadlines
• Creative and a solid sense of humor
• Ability to work on own initiative as well as with a team
• Proven working experience as a project, sales or development engineer for 2 or more years
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Civil, Electrical, Structural, or Mechanical) are preferred
o Other quantitative-focused majors will be considered
• Understanding of the relevant electrical codes, building codes, and permitting procedures for large scale solar projects
• Software experience: AutoCAD, PV Syst (or similar), ARCGIS (or similar), any project/construction management software
• Industry experience with utility-scale solar PV plant design and development is favorable
• Industry experience with battery storage design and development is favorable
This position will be based in Charlottesville, VA.